Water Division

Brad Fink
Director of Public Works
E-mail: bfink@wauconda-il.gov

Alex Pryde
Superintendent of Public Works
E-mail: apryde@wauconda-il.gov

Office: 847-526-9610
Fax: 847-526-2571
302 Slocum Lake Road, Wauconda
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.



From the Water Division

Under the direction of the Village’s Public Works Department, this Division is responsible for:

  • 8 water wells capable of producing 3.3 million gallons of water each day
  • 4 elevated water towers with storage capacity of 2 million gallons
  • 6 drinking water treatment plants
  • 952 fire hydrants
  • 70 miles of water mains
  • 818 water main valves
  • 1.3 million gallons of drinking water (treated and distributed to 5,600 water service customers each day)



Frequently Asked Questions:

Water Rates & Billing

How do I start a new account for water/sewer service?

To begin a new water service account, please contact Utility Billing at 847 526-9604 or send an email to waterbilling@wauconda-il.gov. New renters will need to provide a 1) a copy of the front and back page of the lease for the property – showing both the renter and owner’s name, and 2)a copy of the Certificate of Occupancy (which can be obtained from the Building, Planning & Department).


What should I do if I need to make a change to the billing information for my water/sewer account?

To make a change to your billing information, please contact Utility Billing at 847-526-9604 or send an email to waterbilling@wauconda-il.gov.


What are the water and sewer rates for the Village of Wauconda?



In addition, each account is assessed a Slocum Lake Drainage District fee of $1.08 per month. Accounts located outside the Village limits and are charged 150% of the water and sewer rates, excluding the North Water Project (NWP) area. NWP accounts are charged 125% of the overage rate.

How Do I Pay My Bill?

Payment can be made:

By Mail: Check or money order payments can be sent to the mailing address listed on the bill: Village of Wauconda, P. O. Box 5688 Carol Stream, Illinois 60197-5688

Auto Debit: The Village’s Auto Debit Program allows your bank account to be automatically debited on the bill due date for the full amount of your water/sewer bill.  If you are interested in participating, please click here to fill out an Authorization for Direct Debit Form.

Online:. Credit card (MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card) payments can be made through the E-Pay system only. Click here to access the E-Pay system. Complete account numbers (including zeros and dashes) must be entered at the time of payment. E-Pay is an Electronic Payment Services Program offered by The Illinois Fund of the State of Illinois. A convenience fee (collected by the State of Illinois) will be added to the total payment. This fee is based on a percentage of the bill and is established by the State of Illinois. At this time automatic bill pay is not available.

In person: at the Village Hall, 101 N. Main Street. (Open Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) Cash, check or money order payments are accepted at the front desk. Check or money order  payments can be left in either of the two drop-boxes. Please do not deposit cash in either of the drop boxes. If using the drop box, please include your account number on your check. Drop boxes are located to the right of the front door or in the parking lot behind the building. PLEASE NOTE: Payments placed in the boxes may take up to two days to process and post to your account. If you have questions regarding your water/sewer bill, please call Utility Billing at 847-526-9604.


Are there any discounts offered on water and sewer service?

If you are 65 years of age or older, you are eligible for a 10% discount on the minimum rate for the first 2,000 gallons of water used every billing period. To sign up, please stop by the Village Hall (101 N. Main Street) with a picture I.D. identifying your birth date to sign you up.


What should I do if my bill seems too high?

First, check for leaks in your home. An easy way to check for leaks is to read your meter before and after a period of zero water use (when you will either be away or before going to bed). The reading should be taken from left to right. If the reading has changed and you have not deliberately used any water, there is a leak somewhere in the home. Common areas to check for leaks are toilets, sinks, water softeners, humidifiers and sprinkler systems. If you are unsure of how to repair a leak, contact a licensed plumber. Some leaks can be significant and will result in a higher water bill. It is recommended that residents address leaks as soon as they are found to avoid paying for water they are not intentionally using. Leaky fixtures can result in water bills even hundreds of dollars over the normal bill.


How do I arrange to have my water shut off in the event of an emergency?

For emergency water shut off on a weekday between the hours of 7:00 am and 3:30 pm, contact the Public Works Department at 847 526-9610. If you cannot get through immediately, or if you calling after hours, please contact the Police Department non-emergency phone number at 847 526-2421 – they will dispatch Water Division personnel. After hours/weekend calls will incur a $125.00 fee. This fee includes the cost to turn the water back on.


How do I arrange to have my water shut off for the winter season or for other planned work?

The Water Division is available to temporarily shut-off residential water service in order to protect your property in your absence. The incoming water will be shut off at the property line and you may also request the removal of your inside water meter. The minimum water bill for disconnected services will be suspended until water service is restored. Please call the Water Division at 847-526-9610 for more information. Village ordinance prohibits homeowners from turning water on or off to a residence.

Water Quality

Where can I get information on the quality of my water?

The Village sends a Water Quality Report to all residents each year. Click here to access the latest report.

My cold water is cloudy or dirty.  What is going on?

Occasionally open fire hydrants can cause rust and/or scale to break free from inside the pipes and become suspended in the water.  Water main repair or construction can also cause this condition.  If this condition appears at your residence, allow the cold water tap to run until the water appears clear.  If the condition persists, please contact the Water Division at 847 526-9610.

If my water has a funny taste or smell what can I do about it?

If your water has a chlorine taste or smell, the simplest way to remove it is to fill a pitcher with cold tap water and leave it uncovered in the refrigerator.  The chlorine content will dissipate. If your water has an egg smell, and is only present while using the hot water, the smell may be coming from your water heater.  Have the heater checked for problems. If you have other problems with water quality, please contact the Water Division at 847 526-9610.

Where does my water come from?

The source(s) of the water that you are receiving depends upon which wells we are currently utilizing, water system demands, and your specific location.  Wauconda gets its water from groundwater aquifers using eight wells located within the Village limits.  These wells pump ground water from the aquifers to water treatment plants designed to treat the type of water being received.  The Village does not get its water from Bangs Lake or Lake Michigan.

What treatment does my water undergo?

Water from five of our wells is treated with ion-exchange softening in order to reduce the levels of barium and/or gross-alpha emitters and radium.  Higher levels of these parameters are often found in deep sandstone formations such as those in northern Illinois.  In order to remove excess iron, water at Wells 3, 5, 6 and 10 is treated with iron-removal filtration.  All our water is also treated with chlorine for disinfection purposes, polyphosphate for the purpose of lead and copper corrosion control, and where necessary, fluoride to comply with state regulations for optimal dental health.  Some wells already have an optimal fluoride level. After water treatment, the water is pumped through our piping system to storage tanks, hydrants, and to your home or place of business.

I heard contaminants have been found in the water.  Is my water safe to drink?

A source water assessment for our supply was completed by the IEPA.  The IEPA determined that the source water was not susceptible to contamination.  This determination was based upon a number of criteria including a 1993 well site survey, reviews of water sample analyses and available hydrogeologic data on the wells.  A copy of this source water assessment is available at the Public Works facility at 302 Slocum Lake Road.

What about vinyl chloride?

Although vinyl chloride has been detected in some private homeowner wells in our area, vinyl chloride has never been detected in any of the wells serving our public water supply.  The Village has taken the proactive step of increasing the monitoring frequency for this parameter beyond what the IEPA requires.

How much water does an average person use each day?

An average person uses 123 gallons of water daily.  Typical water use for: Shower 15-30 gallons Brushing teeth (with water running) 1-2 gallons Shaving (with water running) 10-15 gallons Washing dishes by hand 20 gallons Washing dishes in a dishwasher 9-12 gallons Flushing toilet 1-5 gallons

Outdoor Water Usage / Conservation

Are there currently any water restrictions?

There are currently no water restrictions.


What are the typical sprinkling ban/water conservation rules?

A permanent outdoor water use conservation period is in effect from June 1st through September 15th each year. This conservation measure permits watering at any time of the day on an alternating daily basis. Street addresses ending with even-numbers are permitted to use outside water at any time on even numbered calendar days and street addresses ending in odd-numbers will be allowed to use outdoor water at any time on odd numbered calendar days. Should an emergency water condition arise, an emergency conservation measure would go into effect based on an even-odd street address system that would limit outdoor water use to the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. daily. Signs in your community will change to reflect the emergency conservation measure should it need to be implemented. You will also be notified through our Village-wide telephone notification system. In addition, there is a provision in the water conservation ordinance for watering new landscape plantings, which requires you to contact Utility Billing at 847-526-9604.


Why does the Village sometimes open and flow fire hydrants?

The Village maintains over 950 hydrants throughout the Village. One of the best ways to ensure that hydrants are functioning properly is to test or flush them. The Water Division flushes hydrants in the spring to ensure that they are functioning properly.  The procedure for testing hydrants involves installing a gauge and then opening one of the side ports of the hydrant and allowing the water to flow wide open for approximately one minute. During testing, Water Division employees measure the flow velocity, static pressure, flow pressure and pito flow.  For the hydrant to operate properly, crews check for ease of opening and closing, ensure that water flow stops completely when the hydrant is shut down, and confirms that any water remaining in the barrel drains down below ground level into surrounding soil. If a hydrant does not pass this test, it must be repaired. Hard turning or inoperable fire hydrants can be a serious problem for the Fire District during emergency situations and any leaks within the hydrant can be a source of water loss and a major cause for hydrant freeze-up during the winter months.  Unfortunately, when a hydrant or hydrants are flushed in your area, your water may become discolored.  Residents are advised to run water for a few minutes before use. This is especially important to do before doing laundry.


What do I need to do to install a lawn sprinkler system?

A permit is required to install, repair, replace, or relocate any lawn sprinkler system. Only a contractor possessing an irrigation registration card (issued by the Illinois Department of Public Health) is permitted to work on a lawn irrigation system.  To apply for the permit, complete the permit application (at the Building and Zoning Department), submit the permit fee of $50.00 and a plat of survey that indicates the location of the irrigation. No portion of the sprinkler system may be installed in a public right-of way (parkway).  A licensed plumber is required to install the backflow device on the service line for the irrigation system. An RPZ backflow preventer is required on the irrigation system. A separate water meter may be installed at the owner’s request. The backflow device must be certified annually before May 31st. Contact Utility Billing at 847-526-9604 for more information.