Open a Business

In support of new businesses opening or relocating to Wauconda, the Village offers these resources to assist with the process.
Zoning Map
View the current zoning map

Business Registration
Easy one-page form
SBA Resource Guide
View the 2012-2013 Resource Guide


Site Selection:
  • To view a list of available properties, visit our interactive listing website at “Available Properties,” contact the Economic Development Coordinator at 847-526-9609, or reach out to a licensed real estate broker.
  • While on-line you may review the Village Zoning Code for the appropriate zoning for your proposed use. A quick link is located on the Building, Planning & Zoning  website, or you can contact the Director of Building, Planning & Zoning at 847-526-9605 to determine the appropriate zoning. When contacting the department please provide the following information:
    • General description of business activity, including hours of operation and number of employees
    • Site address of where you would like to operate your business
    • Size of business in terms of square feet
    • Number of on-site parking spaces
  • Building Inspection: The Village, in cooperation with the Wauconda Fire Protection District, provides a no cost life safety inspection of buildings prior to occupancy when notified by the business owner.
  • All food service establishments, regardless of menu, should contact the Public Works Department at 847-526-9610 to discuss grease disposal requirements.  Food service establishments should also contact the Lake County Health Department at 847-377-8020 to discuss county food service permit requirements.
  • All new or relocated businesses are required to register with the Village.  Please call 847-526-9609 or download the registration form.  You can find the form under “Industrial Pretreatment” registration requirements on the Environmental Quality webpage.
Building Permits:

A Building Permit is required for new construction and for existing buildings when remodeling includes structural alterations, electrical, plumbing, exterior improvements (roofing, decks, driveways, etc). A Sign Permit is required if changing an existing sign or for a new sign. Questions? Please Contact the Building, Planning & Zoning Department at 847-526-9609.

Occupancy Permits:

Occupancy permits are issued only as part of a building permit process and after a final building inspection is completed. There is no general occupancy permit required for a business when there are no alterations to the building requiring a building permit.

Business Licenses:

Contact the Village’s Deputy Clerk at 847-526-9600. Licenses are required for certain business activities including the sale of alcohol and tobacco, vending machines and solicitors.

Water/Sewer Service:

Contact the Utility Billing at 847-526-9604 to arrange service.

Home Based Businesses:

Contact the Village Director of Building, Planning & Zoning at 847-526-9605, or you may review the Village Zoning Ordinance Section 155.048 Customary Home Occupations.

Additional Resources for Business Owners

Lake County Requirements

Choose a Business Name: If you conduct business in Illinois under an assumed or corporate name, you must file for a certificate with Lake County. Lists of current business names are available at the Lake County Clerk’s office: 847-377-2400, or

State Requirements

Incorporate your Business: If you wish to begin a Corporation or Limited Partnership, you must register with the State of Illinois at: Illinois Secretary of State, 312-793-3380, or

Obtain Your Sales Tax Number: If you engage in a type of retail sales business you must have a sales tax number (either an Illinois Business Tax Number or a Retailer’s Occupational Tax Number). Obtain your sales tax number at the Illinois Department of Revenue: 312-814-5258, or

State Liquor License Requirements: If purchasing, selling, or serving alcohol as part of your business you must have both a local (Village) and State liquor license. State License Applications are available at: Illinois Liquor Control Commission: Chicago, 312-814-2206; or in Springfield, 217-782-2136. The Illinois Liquor Control Commission’s website is:

Federal Requirements

Obtain Your FEIN: If you are a corporation or partnership you must have a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). A sole proprietorship may be able to use its Social Security Number. You can obtain your FEIN at: Federal Taxpayer Service, 800-829-1040, or seek assistance from your accountant.