View the current zoning map
Easy one-page form
View the 2012-2013 Resource Guide
- To view a list of available properties, visit our interactive listing website at “Available Properties,” contact the Economic Development Coordinator at 847-526-9609, or reach out to a licensed real estate broker.
- While on-line you may review the Village Zoning Code for the appropriate zoning for your proposed use. A quick link is located on the Building, Planning & Zoning website, or you can contact the Director of Building, Planning & Zoning at 847-526-9605 to determine the appropriate zoning. When contacting the department please provide the following information:
- General description of business activity, including hours of operation and number of employees
- Site address of where you would like to operate your business
- Size of business in terms of square feet
- Number of on-site parking spaces
- Building Inspection: The Village, in cooperation with the Wauconda Fire Protection District, provides a no cost life safety inspection of buildings prior to occupancy when notified by the business owner.
- All food service establishments, regardless of menu, should contact the Public Works Department at 847-526-9610 to discuss grease disposal requirements. Food service establishments should also contact the Lake County Health Department at 847-377-8020 to discuss county food service permit requirements.
- All new or relocated businesses are required to register with the Village. Please call 847-526-9609 or download the registration form. You can find the form under “Industrial Pretreatment” registration requirements on the Environmental Quality webpage.
A Building Permit is required for new construction and for existing buildings when remodeling includes structural alterations, electrical, plumbing, exterior improvements (roofing, decks, driveways, etc). A Sign Permit is required if changing an existing sign or for a new sign. Questions? Please Contact the Building, Planning & Zoning Department at 847-526-9609.
Occupancy permits are issued only as part of a building permit process and after a final building inspection is completed. There is no general occupancy permit required for a business when there are no alterations to the building requiring a building permit.
Contact the Village’s Deputy Clerk at 847-526-9600. Licenses are required for certain business activities including the sale of alcohol and tobacco, vending machines and solicitors.
Contact the Utility Billing at 847-526-9604 to arrange service.
Home Based Businesses:
Contact the Village Director of Building, Planning & Zoning at 847-526-9605, or you may review the Village Zoning Ordinance Section 155.048 Customary Home Occupations.
Additional Resources for Business Owners
Lake County Requirements
Choose a Business Name: If you conduct business in Illinois under an assumed or corporate name, you must file for a certificate with Lake County. Lists of current business names are available at the Lake County Clerk’s office: 847-377-2400, or www.lakecountyil.gov/countyclerk.
Incorporate your Business: If you wish to begin a Corporation or Limited Partnership, you must register with the State of Illinois at: Illinois Secretary of State, 312-793-3380, or www.sos.state.il.us.
Obtain Your Sales Tax Number: If you engage in a type of retail sales business you must have a sales tax number (either an Illinois Business Tax Number or a Retailer’s Occupational Tax Number). Obtain your sales tax number at the Illinois Department of Revenue: 312-814-5258, or www.revenue.state.il.us.
State Liquor License Requirements: If purchasing, selling, or serving alcohol as part of your business you must have both a local (Village) and State liquor license. State License Applications are available at: Illinois Liquor Control Commission: Chicago, 312-814-2206; or in Springfield, 217-782-2136. The Illinois Liquor Control Commission’s website is: www.state.il.us/LCC.
Obtain Your FEIN: If you are a corporation or partnership you must have a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). A sole proprietorship may be able to use its Social Security Number. You can obtain your FEIN at: Federal Taxpayer Service, 800-829-1040, or seek assistance from your accountant.